By the Dutch
Old Genever is a handcrafted blend of pure maltwine and a distillate of Juniper berries and other botanicals, made according to a secret recipe dating back to 1942. The renowned Herman Jansen Distillery in the Netherlands controls production from grain to bottle.
Special proportions of grain are used–
- Rye (Rogge): provides a strong and a bit harsh flavor.
- Malted Barley (Gemoute Gerst): Malted barley contains the enzymes critical to the fermentation process.
- Corn (Maïs), introduced in Europe in the 18th century, to smooth out the edges from the rye.
The Master Distiller carefully blends the 4 components–
- Pure maltwine
- Maltwine re-distilled in a small pot-still loaded with Juniper berries
- Maltwine re-distilled to reach 75% alc
- Maltwine re-distilled with a special mixture of botanicals.
A perfect balance of aroma and mouth-feel, smooth and malty.
Color: Pale yellow hue
Nose: Complex and spicy with delicate malty aroma’s and a hint of juniper, anise, citrus peel, cloves, cinnamon and orange flowers
Taste: Nuanced, spicy and slightly malty flavor with notes of juniper, anise, bitter orange, cloves, cinnamon and cumin
The origin of English Gin is Dutch Genever. In 1650 Franciscus Sylvius, a Dutch doctor, created Dutch Genever as a medicine that was used by soldiers in the Thirty Years War. English troops hailed the spirit for its warming properties and calming effects, thus the phrase, ‘Dutch Courage’.
90 points ‧ LA Int’l Spirits Competition 2016
4.5 Stars · Difford’s Guide · Excellent
“Generous juniper. Dough balls, pastry dough, pine and buttery chamois leather with black pepper spice.”
1.5 oz By the Dutch Old Genever
1 oz Tuvè Bitter
1 oz Drapò Rosso Vermouth
Add ingredients to mixing glass filled with ice. Stir, and strain into a chilled rocks glass filled with fresh ice. Garnish with orange half-wheel or large orange twist.